Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)

When you are accepted, your school will send you a SEVIS-generated Form I-20 that registers you in the SEVIS, the web-based system that maintains information about Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools and their students. All students must be enrolled in the network, which requires a fee. The proof of payment will need to be carried to the visa interview.


Applying for a Visa

A student visa (F-1 or M-1) must be obtained to study in the U.S.

An F-1 visa is needed for university or college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, or another academic institution, including a language training program. This is valid for however long it takes you to finish your course of study.

An M-1 visa is needed for vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language training program. It is valid for one year, and you can apply for extensions up to three years.

A visa can be applied online with a photo, followed by a scheduled interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate.
For further information, see http://1.usa.gov/1JfdW1G.



Your school will often have its own health insurance plan for you, which is often compulsory. Even if it doesn’t, its international student office will be able to assist you to find a suitable plan. A travel insurance is also recommended, as it covers losses or damages that are not insured with a health insurance.